Saturday, May 1, 2010

365 Project - Day 271 Spring Photo Shoot - Fühlings Fotoshooting - CS5 Edge Detection

A couple of weeks ago, I had a fun photo shoot! You may recognise this beautiful lady from a photo shoot we did together in winter in the snow. She is a dear friend of mine and we are doing a "four seasons" photo shoot. The fantasy edit above is from the Spring pictures!

Here is a slideshow of some of the other edits from the shoot:

and the flickr album link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantasiaphotos/sets/72157623862312540/

*************************************
The fantasy edit at the top of the post was done with my new trial version of CS5. 

Up till about 2 weeks ago, I have been using Photoshop 7 to edit my pictures. Recently, it has been hard to find brushes, actions or any type of "extras" for photoshop that work in such an old version. I decided it was time to start checking out what the newer versions can do. 2 weeks ago, I downloaded the trial version of CS4 and last night, I could not resist getting my hands on the newest version just released, CS5.

This fantasy edit was one of my first real "tests" of a new feature in CS5, "edge detection"! With Photoshop 7, I would zoom in and painstakingly erase around the body of the person I wanted to cut out for the fantasy manipulation and when it came to the hair, it was hit and miss and lots of experimenting and frustration to try to keep as much of the wisps as possible. Cutting out a person would take me about 2 hours to get them how I was happy with for the new background. Today I discovered a tutorial that showed me something amazing on CS5. How to get even wispy hair cut out cleanly and looking fantastic in a photo manipulation AND it took me LESS THAN 5 MINUTES!!

For you photoshoppers who are interested, check out this tutorial:


Here is the original edited picture I used for the cut out:

and here is an extreme crop of the manipulation just to see just how good edge extraction worked to get even the wispy little hairs for moving to the the new background:

I am more than impressed!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

It's always so nice to receive feedback! Thank you!